Wednesday 13 April 2011

A gift for Miss Gosling




I always start sewing projects in a fit of enthusiasm but become discouraged at about the point when I've spent more time unpicking than I have sewing.  This project went surprisingly smoothly, maybe because I did it all by hand.  No machining necessary.

I saw some lovely hair clip holders at the Library's Art and Craft Market. (The market is fabulous but takes a break over winter.  They'll resume monthly in spring.)  Even though they were reasonably priced I thought I could make one with what I had at home.  Everyday Miss Gosling was going through a performance searching for clips in various places and insisting on wearing particular ones.  I'd spend AGES trying to convince her to wear whatever I had in the bathroom drawer.

So I downloaded an image of a strawberry from the web, enlarged it, printed it out and used it as a pattern.  I had to read a web tutorial on how to do french knots, and didn't waste any time practising on a scrap, I just put them straight onto my strawberry, which might explain why no two knots are the same.  The beads act as a weight, and they were from some broken costume jewellery.

Anyway, it has proven to be a very useful little addition to our bathroom.  All the clips are there on display and she can pick whichever she wants to wear.  And when I find them in the car, under her sheets, in her pockets and stuffed between cushions, I just pop them back in their new home.   Happy 2nd birthday Miss Gosling!


1 comment:

  1. I know all about the 'more unpicking than sewing bit', that's why I've switched to crochet lately, I seem to be much better at it. Your strawberry is very cute.

    ReplyDelete