Tuesday 5 July 2011

A baby blanket

A dear friend of mine had her first baby yesterday.  I made her a blanket a few weeks ago in anticipation of the happy event.

My Mum is a very skilled seamstress, capable of making beautiful evening wear, hardy children's clothing and the most delicate decorative hand stitching.  Needless to say, I'm wanting in all these areas.  But she inspires me to give it a go, and I have another incentive - my Granny's sewing machine.  Check it out.  She bought it in Nigeria in 1952.  I had a few sewing lessons last year and my teacher could hardly hide her horror at such an antique, but it goes forwards and backwards, and does zig zag and button holes - more than enough for me!


Anyway, here is the blanket.  It is cotton on one side and fleecy and chenille on the other, with ribbons round the edge.  Miss Gosling was given a similar one when she was born and she loved the ribbons once she became aware of their existence and had some control over her hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment