Wednesday 9 March 2011

Back in shape

Actually, I've never been "in shape".  I like to walk and I like to swim and that's about it.  Luckily, I've never had to do much more to fit into my jeans, but having two babies in two years has taken its toll.  Parts of my body were toned and slender by virtue of youth alone and have recently taken on a rather sluggish and ill-defined shape.  And my pelvic floor is the worse for wear.  Not happy.  I'm not grasping to get my pre-baby body back (though why didn't I love it more when I had it?)  I accept that baby bearing changes a body.  I just want to fit into my clothes without cutting my circulation off at the waist.  I don't want to buy a new wardrobe (and can't afford to) and I want to be healthy and energetic for the Goslings.

So yesterday I bought a gym pass.  I have never, EVER been to a gym and have frequently sworn I never would.  I used to walk through one on my way to the pool.  The gorillas in the weights room gave me the heeby jeebies and I've never understood the appeal of cardio equipment.  It's a bit creepy seeing rows of strangers marching in the same direction, vacantly staring ahead into the middle distance at some twaddle on daytime telly.  The zombies are coming ...  Still, I find I can't motivate myself at home.  I need structure, a commitment and someone to show me what to do.  So after chatting with friends with littlies, I've signed up at Activ8 Health and Sports Centre.  They've got a creche and a class that focusses on core strength and abdominal toning.  To give myself a kick start, I bought some new sneakers.  No backing out now.  I can't start til next Tuesday, when I'm six weeks post partum, so I've still got some time to psyche myself up.  Wish me luck!

Are you doing any post-baby physical activity?  What works for you? 


My new joggers.  And what I'm much comfier in.

No comments:

Post a Comment