Wednesday 16 March 2011

The Womens Work Depot

This shop might look a bit dated, but don't let that put you off - I did, for too long.  It's gold.  Pure gold.

A friend told me you can buy great pav shells there.  Then a mum from playgroup told me she loves the knitted clothes for kids.  Then I saw a sign in the window for home made ice cream.  That clinched it for me, I was in the door in a flash.

I haven't tried the pavs, and the kids clothes are cute (though reminiscent of 1980's Family Circle), and the ice cream is sublime.  It's the real stuff.  No dodgy thickeners, sweeteners or dairy by-products, just eggs, sugar, cream and condensed milk, plus vanilla or chocolate. And a steal at $4.50 for half a litre.  I think it's better than any other ice cream you can buy in the Mount, and that's including when Molten stocked Timboon.

They also have frozen lasagnes, sausage rolls and pasties, plants, fruit & veg and dozens of slices and biscuits.  I can vouch for the anzacs and chocolate melting moments.  And it's all so scandalously cheap I might never bake again.

The Depot opened in 1970.  It has about 100 members contributing goods.  It's non profit and all proceeds go to charity.  Go check it out.


1 comment:

  1. It's such a Mount Gambier Institution, isn't it? I wonder if some of these grandmas will let us girls from outta town (or without nannas) adopt them??xx

    ReplyDelete