Sunday 20 March 2011

Fruit & Veg Swap Meet

This year our veggie patch yielded lots and lots of garlic.  More garlic than one family can possibly use.  Luckily I harvested it around the same time the Mount Gambier Fruit & Veg Swap Meet started up.  Last December I took the garlic along, with some potatoes and onions, and came home with lemons, spinach, cucumbers, rhubarb and basil.  

I've been to each swap meet since then.  Last Saturday I only had half a dozen eggs to swap.  I traded them for some baby spinach, cherry tomatoes and garlic chives.  It's so easy!  You just put your produce on the table and take what you think is a fair trade.  The whole event has such a casual, friendly vibe.  I've met lots of other gardeners, learnt all sorts of tips for growing and preserving veggies, and swapped recipes for future gluts of rhubarb / zucchinis / carrots etc.  The organisers are hoping it will expand so people bring along worm castings, seeds and seedlings.  One lady has been bringing rhubarb crowns. I took one in January and already it has tripled in size.  Maybe I'll be able to take some rhubarb along next summer!

The swap meet is on the Mount Gambier Library verandah, 10am - 11am.  The next three dates are 2 April, 17 April and 14 May 2011.  For more information call the Library or South East Regional Community Health on 8724 5222.



Our free range eggs for the swap meet.  Dated with help from Miss Gosling.

No comments:

Post a Comment